Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Stay-at-home moms creep me out

I have nothing against SAHM. Really. I swear. My own mother is a SAHM, and a good mom at that.

All the same, it is weird to go to say, the Albert Heijn and see nothing but these women buying food like bread and cheese and frozen pizzas for their families. After the first few times I avoided them by not going to the AH or the city center until after noon, when all of the kids start playing hooky.

Now that I've been gainfully employed for almost 2 years, the weirdness of SAHM has only hit me that much stronger. After having not seen them for eons, and then going into town yesterday (I have two days off thanks to the Carnival in Maastricht), was like entering the twilight zone again.

I suppose it's because I'm used to working. I don't have children. I don't want to be a SAHM, even after having kids. Being able to have a home life separate from a work life is comforting--I don't want my home life to be another job.

No comments:

Post a Comment